Naked heels Forum Index Naked heels
The way they do it in the jungle

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  {Photo Gallery}Main Gallery   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

{Asil Forum} {Vietnamese forum}

Chicken flu in Europe

View previous topic :: View next topic  
philippe
Evil Fowl

Battles: 4699

BattlePosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Chicken flu in Europe Reply with quote

Most of the European countries have announced outbreaks of H5N8 avian flu.
In France, over one million ducks and a few thousands of chickens have been destroyed to contain the disease.
Yet in France, the poultry shows, the pits or the pigeon races can still go on just now, except on the spots where the flu is striking. The steel cockfighting season has begun as usual in the pits of Northern France. In Belgium, the fowl must be kept indoor and the gatherings of fowl are forbidden.

2006 was a bad year for the pits, they were closed for months.

About the Belgian/French border, there are much more controls specially from Belgium to France since the terrorist attacks.
shamolady
Divine Fowl

Battles: 26298

BattlePosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In UK all poultry shows and meetings are banned - despite there only been a few cases found, mostly in commercial flocks of turkeys and pheasants.

My Gallery
Xue
Chick

Battles: 497

BattlePosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is bad for pigeon racing. That industry is huge.
shamolady
Divine Fowl

BattlePosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would think so - but so far they seem to concentrate the bans on poultry. As far as I know, in UK, there are still no controls on pigeon gatherings - so long as basic precautions are undertaken!

My Gallery
philippe
Evil Fowl

BattlePosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xue wrote:
This is bad for pigeon racing. That industry is huge.

For a few days, the pigeons have to be kept indoor in Belgium. The fanciers hope it won't last too long. The pigeons need to fly as a daily routine to be fit in April when the season begins.
philippe
Evil Fowl

BattlePosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the pits are closed because of the avian flu as it was in 2006, it's a big problem for steel cocking. 100% of the steel fights are done in the legal pits. In mainland France, there are only legal pits in the north-eastern region close to the Belgian border.

Endurance meetings are only held in one pit. It was in the pit of Mouchin, then Rouillon, then Vieux-Conde, and this year, Aire-sur-la-lys. They are Turkish meetings (Turkish rules and Turkish referees).
The majority of the endurance meetings are in the bush. Endurance cocking is popular in the central and in the southern parts of France. Actually it's only popular for a few decades as I guess it is in USA.
philippe
Evil Fowl

BattlePosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 2 weeks, 10,000 broilers died of H5N8 influenza in a farm in Ghyvelde. It's a village in the Nord region where the French legal pits can be found.
http://www.lefigaro.fr/conjoncture/2017/03/01/20002-20170301ARTFIG00208-grippe-aviaire-10000-poulets-morts-dans-le-nord.php

"France's agriculture ministry has ordered all remaining 600,000 ducks in a key poultry-producing region slaughtered to try to stem a growing outbreak of bird flu." More than 2,000,000 ducks were already slaughtered.
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/france-slaughtering-ducks-key-region-due-bird-flu-45625537
philippe
Evil Fowl

BattlePosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Belgian, the fowl must still stay indoors. In France, 3,700,000 "foie gras" ducks were already slaughtered.
philippe
Evil Fowl

BattlePosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poultry in Belgium is now allowed outside, except for industrial keepers.
shamolady
Divine Fowl

BattlePosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good news!
lol

My Gallery
philippe
Evil Fowl

BattlePosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shamolady wrote:
That's good news!
lol

Yes it is. Yet I think it will be fully over at the end of the wild birds migratory period.
shamolady
Divine Fowl

BattlePosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure about the situation in UK, as we are not covered by their regulations here. But things do seem to have gone much quieter.
Fingers crossed!

My Gallery
philippe
Evil Fowl

BattlePosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Researchers of the Roslin Institude, University of Edimburgh have developed chickens that are genetically modified so they don't spread the bird flu to other chickens with which they are in contact.

To separate the transgenic chickens from the rest of the flock, they injected the birds with a protein that turned them glowing green under ultraviolet light!

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/genetically-modified-glow-in-the-dark-chickens-could-beat-bird-flu/
shamolady
Divine Fowl

BattlePosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure this wasn't posted on 1st April! laughing

I can't really see this being commercially viable, either financially or because of the public response to GM birds. I think Roslin (Roswell!) students are simply playing about at our expense!

My Gallery
philippe
Evil Fowl

BattlePosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shamolady wrote:
Are you sure this wasn't posted on 1st April! laughing

I can't really see this being commercially viable, either financially or because of the public response to GM birds. I think Roslin (Roswell!) students are simply playing about at our expense!

It's crazy what can be done now!

#1 The Food and Drug Administration approved a genetically modified chicken. Its purpose? To make a drug in its eggs.

The drug in question is called Kanuma. It's the first treatment approved for people with "lysosomal acid lipase deficiency" — a rare genetic condition that prevents the body from breaking down fatty molecules inside cells.
http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/9/9879678/gmo-chicken-transgenic-fda-approved-kanuma-drug-eggs

#2 Edinburgh University researchers (once again!) created the genetically modified chickens who were then unable to produce their own eggs, but could act as surrogate mothers.

Incredibly, they have then been able to lay eggs developed out of implanted stem cells which had been taken from the embryos of rare birds.

Lead scientist Dr Mike McGrew said: "These chickens are a first step in saving and protecting rare poultry breeds from loss in order to preserve future biodiversity of our poultry from both economic and climate stresses.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/science/brit-scientists-create-genetically-modified-9842348

One week ago, I heard that Dr Mike McGrew claimed to want to contact Shamolady in order to preserve her shamos! And he also wants to help her creating a shamo with luminescent shanks!
shamolady
Divine Fowl

BattlePosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! laughing I await his call!!!

My Gallery
saj
Battle Fowl

Battles: 1530

BattlePosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was meant to be at show in Holland in January but due to the outbreak it got moved to May. I hope it's still on for May
philippe
Evil Fowl

BattlePosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news in Belgium! The chicken flu warning is canceled: to-day all the poultry can be kept outdoors.
shamolady
Divine Fowl

BattlePosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rules still being enforced in UK - no poultry shows/auctions/gatherings allowed yet.

My Gallery
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Naked heels Forum Index * Naked Ring All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: